Because it was wired incorrectly, the bottom element of my little kiln received twice the amps it should have. The element got so hot that it burned and even adhered to some of the ceramic element holders.
I had already made the decision that replacing this bottom element was the last thing I would do to get this kiln working properly, so when I found that I could not remove the element except by breaking the element holders, I knew my little kiln and I were at an end.
Perhaps there is someone out there who would like to have an old L&L J-14. All it needs is to take out the bottom element, replace the element holders, and install the new element (which I have). Or maybe someone would like it for replacement parts. As for me, it is goodby little kiln. I hope I learned enough to be worth the money I put into you.